Sexual Assault Lawyer in Houston
Under Texas law, sexual assault occurs whenever there is unwanted sexual contact, even if penetration does not occur. Force does not necessarily have to be used, as the lack of consent is enough to create sexual assault according the Texas Penal Code. Some instances where the lack of force could nonetheless lead to sexual assault charges include:
- The defendant is a public servant who uses his position to coerce the victim
- A mental health counselor plays on a patient’s vulnerability
- Administering a date-rape drug
- The victim has a mental disease, which is known to the perpetrator
- The victim is a child under the age of 17
Arrested? Call the Sexual Assault Attorney Mario Madrid at 713-877-9400
Possible Penalties of Rape Charges
A conviction of a sex crime can bring with it a long prison sentence and lifetime registration as a sex offender. A defendant may also be required to attend mandatory sex offender classes and pay restitution to the victim. A conviction can and will lead to difficulty finding employment or the ability to live in certain areas or towns. An experienced criminal defense lawyer can help to avoid pitfalls and mount a defense that can mitigate potential difficulties that result from a conviction.
Defending Sexual Assault Cases
An experienced attorney can help someone accused of rape in a number of ways:
- Making sure the defendant’s rights are not violated
- Checking eyewitness for signs of inaccuracies
- Demanding DNA testing to prove one’s innocence
- Having charges reduced or eliminated
If you have been accused of sexual assault, the time to act is now. Even if you have not been formally arrested, there is still a great deal at stake in preparing your defense. Often times, the fact that you have an attorney to represent you is enough to curtail investigative techniques.
Contact Madrid Law Today
Mario Madrid is a proven fighter and defender of Sexual Assault cases in Houston. Mr. Madrid is Board Certified by the State of Texas in Criminal Law based on his experience and expertise in this type of law. He will analyze the state’s case and find weaknesses to attack. For a free case evaluation, call Mario Madrid at 713-877-9400.